Here Are 10 Things You Need To Know About Self-proclaimed Godman Dera Chief Gurmeet Ram Rahim.
There is a huge eruption of violence in Haryana and Punjab sides because of their Godmen Dera chief Gurmeet Ram Rahim has found guilty and arrested. Here are the 10 things about him we tell you that you may not know it earlier.
2. The Ssadhvi accused Dera chief of raping several other female followers inside the Dera campus in Sirsa, Haryana.
3. The Punjab and Haryana high court took Suo Motu – of its own accord – cognizance of the Sadhvi’s letter and directed the CBI to register a sexual exploitation case against the Dera chief in 2002. The CBI then registered a case against Gurmeet Ram Rahim, based on the Sadhvi’s letter.
4. The investigating agency questioned 18 Sadhvis and two of them levelled allegations of rape against the spiritual leader. One Sadhvi said that her rape was “justified” on the grounds that it would “purify” her.
5. Both Sadhvis who said they were raped recorded their statements before the court and reiterated that they were raped. Their statements are part of the CBI charge sheet which was filed on July 30, 2007, in the special CBI court.
6. One of the Ssadhvis said in her statement that when she entered the Dera chief’s sprawling chamber, the doors automatically closed and she found him watching a pornographic movie on a big screen. The CBI is said to be banking heavily on this statement as only a select few have access to that chamber.
7.The trial against Gurmeet Ram Rahim commenced in 2008 and on September 6, 2008, he was charged under Section 376 (rape) and Section 506 (criminal intimidation) of the Indian Penal Code.
8. The Dera chief has consistently called the charges false and baseless and has told the court that he is “not capable of” engaging in physical relations.
9. Gurmeet Ram Rahim is also facing trial in two separate murder cases – those of Dera follower Ranjit Singh in July 2002 and of journalist Ram Chander Chhatrapati in October that same year.
10. Ranjit’s family members claimed he was killed for having circulated the Sadhvi’s anonymous letters. Chattrapati had reported extensively on illegal activities going on within the Dera.